Times of Public Worship: 11am
Summer times – Rossnowlagh July and August 8 pm
Midweek Bible Study / Prayer : Thursdays 8pm
Sunday School Times: 10am
Tuesday – BB 7 30
Set Dates for special services
Communion- first Sunday May and November
Children’s Day – Harvest – 3rd Sunday October
Other special services: Christmas morning 10 30
Although having just around 50 families associated with the congregation, Donegal enjoys a wider fellowship with and ministry to a great number of visitors each year. Situated at the scenic and historic mouth of Donegal Bay our town is a crossroads for people from all over the world. 'Donegal' in Irish means "the Fort of the Foreigner" where everyone is welcome!
The present building, on the Killybegs Road, dates from 1888 although Presbyterians have been active in the area for much longer. The nearby country church of Rathneeny (now in use only once a quarter) dates back over 300 years.
Our services are at 11.00am each Sunday. The Sunday School meets at 10.00 am and we have a midweek Bible Study for adults on Thursdays. We also have an active choir, PW Group and Youth Fellowship.
In the summer months of July and August we run family services in the little tin holiday church at Rossnowlagh at 8.00 pm.
The first Presbyterian congregation in Donegal (1672) was called Raneeny. It was actually two miles out of town and an old-fashioned “meeting house” stands on the original site to this day. On 16th March 1674 Mr William Henry was ordained and installed in the charge of Donegal, Belleek and Greystown. He was followed in 1698 by Mr Thomas Craighead who later served in America during which time (1715-1739) Donegal Springs Presbyterian Church, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA, was set up.
A succession of ministers followed in Raneeny;
Mr J Holmes (1715-1744)
Mr A Hamilton (1744-1763)
Mr R Caldwell (ord 1767)
Mr W Heuston (1791-1823)
Mr S Thompson (ord 1824)
Mr A Lowry (1861-1881)
Mr W Waddell (1881-1884).
Meanwhile, in 1827, a meeting house was built in Donegal Town by a Mr William Niblock (1825-1868) whose work followed that of Covenanters, the Irish Evangelical Society and early Seceders. He was succeeded by Rev Robert Neilson (1868-1922) under whose ministry in 1884 “1st” and “2nd” Donegal were united, a new meeting house being built on its present site in 1886.
In 1906 the then separate congregation of Ballyshannon under a Mr H R Brown erected a small building to provide services for holiday makers in Rossnowlagh. Services continue each summer on Sunday evenings to the present day.
Following Rev Neilson in Donegal came;
Rev A A G Kirkpatrick (1921-1926)
Rev R H Gilmore (1927-1931)
Mr T R Johnston (1933-1938)
Mr A E C Rowan (1940-1949)
Rev V Ryan (1949-1951)
Rev Dr Thomas McCurdy Barker (1952-1959).
Dr Barker had served as a missionary in Manchuria and as a prisoner of war, imprisoned by the Japanese outside Nagasaki, survived the explosion of the atomic bomb. He went on to be Moderator of the General Assembly in 1966-1967.
Rev Charles Marshall of Ballyshannon was appointed Stated Supply in 1960. After his retirement in 1978 there was a long vacancy during which time the congregations of Donegal and Ballyshannon were served by Rev C Brown, Dr W Ferris and Rev C Courtenay.
Rev A Watson (1992-2001)
Rev S Richmond (2002-
On R238 from Derry to Buncrana at Tooban, Burnfoot
Republic of Ireland F93 XY65