Dunfanaghy Presbyterian

Times of Public Worship: 10.30am (All year)
Midweek Bible Study / Prayer : Thurs as arranged
Sunday School Times: During Church
Organisation times: No Organisations other than PW which meets monthly on a Monday evening united with Carrigart
Set Dates for special services

Click here for Dunfanaghy Web Site.   or sermons and thoughts of the minister.
Communion-  1st Sundays in January, May and November
Children’s Day – As Arranged in June                  Harvest – 2nd Sunday in October
Other special services: Christmas Morning….  10.30am    

Click here for a photograph and location of the church.

Records mention a Presbyterian community and Minister in 1679, however, the Scots Plantations in the area of Dunfanaghy, date from around 1610/1611 and “Presbyterian” clergy were in the Raphoe diocese before 1622.

The first Meeting House was built on a site opposite the present Market Square in the town. This was rebuilt in 1750 as shown by the stone now built into the back wall of the present church.

In 1814, a new Meeting House was built at Derryart. The remains of this meeting house which was demolished in 1876 can still be seen by the path close to the boundary wall of Ards Forest Park. This is opposite the roadside farm house a short distance after the main Ards entrance as you travel in the direction of Dunfanaghy.

An account of the opening of the present church in October 1878 makes reference in relation to the costs of the building to “Liberal subscriptions from the members of the congregation and from many of the respectable Episcopalians and Roman Catholic inhabitants of Dunfanaghy and neighbourhood.”

Over the years, there is evidence of important contributions to the Community through innovations in Agriculture, Fisheries and the development of other local businesses, cooperation and aid in times of need, and positive involvement in all aspects of the life of the area.

When the present church was opened in October 1878. the attraction of Dunfanaghy to visitors was already a factor in the congregation’s thinking and the contribution both to attendance and in support of the Church continues to be of immense value. Summer attendances are often close to capacity and in recent years very good attendances are welcomed at Dunfanaghy all year round.


On R238 from Derry to Buncrana at Tooban, Burnfoot 

Fahan, Via Lifford, Co. Donegal 

Republic of Ireland EIRCode F93 XY65 

ROI Registered Charity Number (RCN): 20205867