Magheramason Presbyterian

Click here for a picture of Magheramason Presbyterian Church.    

Click here for The Presbyterian Church in Ireland.

In the 1870s, Presbyterians living in the Magheramason area began a campaign to have their own congregation. In August 1877, work began on a meeting house at Magheramason on a site granted by the Duke of Abercorn. The opening service in the new church took place on 17 November 1878, and the following year the Reverend Thomas Boyd was ordained its first minister.[4]

The plot of land for the church was purchased from the Duke of Abercorn. Tthe foundation stone was laid on 12th August 1877 (or 18th August 1877), and a short service was conducted by the Rev. C.K. Toland of Bready Reformed Presbyterian Church. It is a barn style church.

History of the Church

The opening service was held on 17th November 1878. The first minister was the Rev. Thomas Boyd installed on 19th June 1879. Previously the members of the congregation would have worshiped at 2nd Donagheady Presbyterian Church, and came from an area known locally as the Cooley. Application for a separate congregation had first been made in the Glendermott Presbytery in 1875.

The Manse was built duing the time of Mr Francis Moore, costing £474 on land beside the church bought from Mr James McNeely for £50.

In 2002, they celebrated their 125th anniversary.

Magheramason Presbyterian ChurchMarriages 1881-1927

Ministers of the Church

  Name Information  
1879 - 1884
  Mr Thomas Boyd From Portglenone, ordained 19th June 1879. Resigned 7th July 1884. Then he was installed at Scarva St. Presbyterian Church on 7 Aug. 1884. He retired on 31st Dec. 1921 and died on 9th May 1938. [He married Isabella, daughter of Rev. James Knowles of Castleton, Belfast. or conflicting information says it was Miss Kinnear of Ballymena.]  
1885 - 1892
  Mr Francis Rankin Moore Ordained 13th January 1885, resigned 28th November 1892, when he moved to 1st Dungannon. He Died 23rd February 1893.  
1893 -  1896
  Mr James Macafee Hamill Ordained 23rd May 1893, he resigned in 1896 after a call from Lauriston Place Free Church, Edinburgh. He married Miss Dickson, daughter of Mr Alex. Dickson, Newtownards.  
1896 - 1908
  Rev Joseph D. Caskey Installed 19th November 1896, resigned 29th May 1908, after accepting a call from Anderson Free Church, Kilsyth. He had four children.  
1909 - 1914
  Rev Robert Hyndman Was the minister of Upper Cumber, installed 22nd June 1909. Resigned 22nd April 1914 and accepted a call to 1st Cookstown. He married the youngest daughter of Rev. W.C. Robinson, Ballykelly.  
1914 - 1924
  Rev Gordon Douglas Erskine He was from Holywood. Resigned 31st March 1924, having accepted a call from Trinity Church, Cork. After which there was a 16 month vacancy. He was moderator of General Assembly in 1949. He married Miss Buchanan, Londonderry, and had four children.  
1925 - 1961
  Rev Frederick Waldo Craig Wallace Installed 30th July 1925. He was the son of the Rev. J.C. Wallace, Raphoe.  
1962 - 1971
  Rev. Lawrence Henry    
1871 - 1979
  Rev. Philip Breakey    
1981 - 1991
  Rev. George Moore    
  Rev. David Hillen Installed 30th June 1992, previously in charge of two congregations in Co Monaghan.

On R238 from Derry to Buncrana at Tooban, Burnfoot 

Fahan, Via Lifford, Co. Donegal 

Republic of Ireland EIRCode F93 XY65 

ROI Registered Charity Number (RCN): 20205867