St Johnston Presbyterian Church
THIS CONGREGATION, FOUNDED 1726,
BUILT THE CHURCH IN 1849
AND THE TOWER IN 1859
DAMAGED BY LIGHTNING ON 19TH DECEMBER 1982, THE TOWER WAS REBUILT USING THE ORIGINAL DESIGN AND CUT STONE
THE BUILDING WAS REOPENED ON 4TH MARCH 1984
The St Johnston Congregation of Presbyterians was founded in 1726. They built the Church in 1849 and ten years later they built the Church tower.
On the 19th December 1982, the tower was struck by lightning during the night. The tower was restored using the same stone and the same design. The Church was reopened on 4th March 1984.
In 1834 the Presbyterians had the highest membership in the locality with 3318 members. Roman Catholics numbered 2207. The Reformation probably had no effect on the area until the Plantation times when the new settlers from Scotland brought their Presbyterianism with them. From 1609 on the Cunninghams and the Stewarts allocated land in such a way that eventually St Johnston and Carrigans developed.
On R238 from Derry to Buncrana at Tooban, Burnfoot
Fahan, Via Lifford, Co. Donegal
Republic of Ireland EIRCode F93 XY65
ROI Registered Charity Number (RCN): 20205867