During the Ulster Plantation (1630) many English and Scottish settled in the fertile land in the areas of Burt, Inch, Fahan and Muff. This resulted in the number of Irish decreasing dramatically. The main reason the people settled in these areas was due to being close to the
The earliest record of an established Presbyterian meeting house in Inishowen was Burt where a minister was ordained in 1673. The first minister of Carndonagh was appointed in 1695, Moville in 1715, Malin in 1717, Fahan in 1719 and Knowhead (Muff) in 1749.
"This day John Surgeone and James Creswell appeared from the Parish of Faan, commissioners presenting a supplication to the meeting, and a call to Mr. Andrew Ferguson, that they partake of a share of his labours. The meeting refers the consideration of this to the next meeting. At their meeting on June 17, 1691 Commissioners from Faan having this day appeared before the meeting to present their call to Mr. Andrew Ferguson to take the pastoral care of them. This meeting unanimously agreeth that Mr. Andrew Ferguson shall take the pastoral inspection of that people for the interim, so far as he conveniently can, without impairing his health and they do agree to build an Isle to the meeting house in Burt for their own convenience: but if Mr. Ferguson shall find the work to be insupportable, he is at liberty to quit them when that doth appear, and if that people shall find themselves capable to maintenance of a minister of their own, they shall then be at liberty to choose a minister for themselves and while they continue with Mr. Ferguson they promise him £10.00 per annum."
Andrew Ferguson MA was born in
The arrangement that Fahan had with Burt seems to have been maintained until the year 1719.
On R238 from Derry to Buncrana at Tooban, Burnfoot
Fahan, Via Lifford, Co. Donegal
Republic of Ireland EIRCode F93 XY65
ROI Registered Charity Number (RCN): 20205867